268Blog

Friday, December 09, 2005

28 Day Journey-Day Five

Friday 12//09//05
5 Expectant

God loves the expectant heart. He loves it when we come to Him in faith. He is never intimidated by our hopes and dreams. He is not daunted by the size of our prayers.

Yet, so often we approach Him with such little aspiration. We pray as though we might easily tire Him or deplete His supply. We come to worship, but we always seem to “know” just what’s going to happen. We can always predict how things are going to go.

That’s a sad commentary for those who say they believe this God is awesome in His glory, working wonders by His mighty power.

So as we come to Nashville, Lord willing we will come expecting. Expecting what, you ask? Expecting God to meet us in glory. Who knows what He will do. None can tell how He will move. All we can do is come. All we can do is prepare our hearts. All we can do is approach in truth the throne of grace. All we can do is offer all of who we are. The rest is in His hands. His response is up to Him alone.

But we can believe. We can hope. We can have high expectations. Not that He will do some specific thing we desire (although we can make our specific requests known to Him at any time), but that He will meet us there.

“Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart. I will be found by You, says the Lord.” Jeremiah 29:12-14a

That’s why we’re coming. That’s what we long for. That’s the prize.

Today's prayer:
O God, increase my faith.
Lord, I praise You today because You are limitless in every way. There is nothing too difficult for You. You never run dry. You do not sleep or slumber.

Father, heighten my sense of who You are. Expand my anticipation of what You are doing all around me, and give me a greater capacity to believe You for all that is to come.

God, make us expectant as we come to meet You. Help us to cast away little faith, safe prayers, “the usual” thinking, the fear of not having our expectations met. Do a fresh and mighty thing in our midst. Please come and fall on us with great power. In mercy allow us to stand in awe of You.

Passion06 is all about You. Shrink my thoughts of me. Blow up my view of You. Blow, wind of God. Surprise us. Undo us. Amaze us again. Display Your glory for Jesus’ sake, Amen.

But as for me, it is good to be near God, I have made the Sovereign Lord my refuge; I will tell of all your deeds. Psalm 73:28

Through the day: Come Holy Spirit.

4 Comments:

  • give us faith to be expectant!

    By Blogger steph, at 12/09/2005 12:42 AM  

  • that post was glorious - exactly what i needed to hear. that was the prayer of my heart, though i didn't realize how badly i needed it to be written out for me to see.

    By Blogger awlear, at 12/09/2005 9:25 AM  

  • It was 50 years ago (three days after Passion '06), January 8, 1956 that Jim Elliot, Nate Saint, Roger Youderian, Ed McCully, and Pete Fleming were martyred on a secluded beach on the East Currary river in the jungles of Ecuador.

    On October 27, 1949, five years before his martyrdom, Jim Elliot penned these words into his Wheaton College Journal, “I have just now prayed for God’s new revelation – this generation’s real laying hold of the Old Revelation. The old is become so undefined, so “accepted,” so followed in blindness, that when the truth of it is brought to light, it shall be a new revelation. I have prayed for new men, fiery, reckless men, possessed of un-controllably youthful passion – these lit by the Spirit of God. I have prayed for new miracles. Explaining old miracles will not do. If God is to be known as the God who does wonders in heaven and on earth, then God must produce for this generation.”

    The next day, October 28, Jim reflects on the cost of such a prayer, “He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep that which he cannot lose.”

    And then, the very next day, on October 29, Jim realized something profound, “…I responded to the simple urge within me to offer myself for the work there [in the jungle of East Ecuador].”

    Jim prayed, he understood the cost of such a prayer, and then was called by God to serve in a place where one day he would lay down his life – a revelation confessed over the span of three college days.

    Come On! Are you ready for Passion '06? Consecrate yourselves. Fast and pray and be ready in the morning. In Exodus 34 God gave Moses specific instructions. I'm sure Moses spent all night chiseling stone.

    By Blogger Unknown, at 12/09/2005 2:53 PM  

  • Yes Lord increase my Faith!!For you can do all things!!More things than I could ever imagine.And Lord I ask that you would just inlarge our view of you!!I ask that you would just inlarge my view,Lord to see you.I put all my Trust in you,my faith is in you Lord!!You are such a beautiful,and indescribable God words cannot describe how great you really are.
    And Lord I ask that the students that go to Passion this year would open there eyes to you!!And expect great things.That they would just be so excited every day of there lives to see what you will do next!!Thank you for all you do in my life.Amen

    By Blogger FanofGOD, at 12/12/2005 9:40 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home